The Carlton Graphic Design Studios are the regeneration of a 1980’s two storey office building on the edge of Melbourne’s CBD. The client, a boutique graphic design and publishing company, sought a green building that would represent their values and those of their clientele.
The existing building is stripped back to its core elements and re-fitted with clean, green fittings, fixtures and finishes. The facades of the building are transformed from impermeable fixed glass to open-able glass louvres allowing natural ventilation with individual occupant control. The street-facing façade is fitted with an external adjustable sun shade to control solar exposure on a daily and seasonal basis, while providing an iconic, animated façade to the building.
On the ground floor the entry was rejuvenated and made wheelchair accessible while the street edge was activated with the addition of soft and hard landscaping including warm timber and lush gardens.A new floor level was added to the building to provide increased amenity including new kitchen and breakout spaces, meeting rooms and outdoor area. The internal layouts on all floors offer a high degree of spatial efficiency and flexibility for future operational changes and expansion.
Carlton Graphic Design Studios
Green building design systems:
- Adjustable sun shade to reduce solar heat gain and glare
- Double glazing and increased thermal insulation to new third level
- Windows, skylight, selective white ceilings and dispersing surfaces to spread natural light
- Open-able louvres to allow natural ventilation with individual user control and night purge
- Exposed thermal mass in concrete walls and floor to balance heat gain
- Dematerialization through minimisation of new linings and finishes
- Low VOC materials to achieve clean indoor air
- Energy efficient HVAC system zoned for maximum efficiency
- Energy efficient hot water system plus recirculating hot water lines to conserve energy
- Energy efficient artificial lighting with combined automated and user control to minimise energy use
- Rainwater harvesting for use in toilets plus low water use fittings and fixtures
- Landscaped roof deck and timber decking insulating external slab
- Bicycle accommodation over increased car parking requirements
135 St Georges Road
ph (03) 9482 3504
fax (03) 9482 3514